Local Apple Cocktails to Enjoy
Cheers to Nova Scotia Apples! Here's some great apple cocktail recipes that feature unique spirits made by Nova Scotia distillers.
Coldstream Clear Spiced Apple Martini
- 1oz 1749 Original Spirit
- 1oz Apple Pie
- 1½ oz apple cider (Nova Scotian)
- 1½ oz honey
- ½ oz lemon juice
- 1 barspoon of spiced syrup
Add all ingredients to a shaker and fill tin to ¾ height with ice. Seal and shake hard for 10 seconds. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Still Fired Moonshine Mule
- In a shaker add 5-6 ice cubes
- 4 oz of Granny's Apple Pie Moonshine
- Shake until Apple Pie is nicely chilled
- Add 2-3 ice cubes to a Mule Glass and fill half way with chilled Apple Pie
- Top up the rest of the glass with Propeller Ginger Beer
- Squeeze a lime wedge into glass and serve
- Garnish with a mint sprig and lime wedge
Grand Pre Pomme D’Or
OK. It comes from a winery, not a distillery, but Pomme D’or from Domaine de Grand Pré is a fantastic dessert wine made from old and new apple varieties. It’s seasonal and not always available, but worth the work to find.
Ironworks Distillery Apple Brandy
Ironworks Distillery in Lunenburg is one of the longest running distilleries in our province. These folks make an impressive array of spirits, and if you’re in the mood for apple, then we suggest their Apple Brandy. Now, what to do? Let’s keep this one simple. We suggest an Apple Car.
- Fill a shaker with ice
- Add 20ml fresh lemon juice, 20ml triple sec and 40ml apple brandy
- Shake hard, strain into a stemmed glass and garnish with a Maraschino cherry.
Gin & Tonic with an Apple Twist
We added this one for two reasons. You can use your favorite local apple juice. And you can use your favourite gin from any number of local producers. Nova Scotia Spirit Co., Steinhart, Ironworks, Compass, Halifax Distilling…they all make great gin.
- 3 shots apple juice
- 2 shots tonic water
- 2 shots gin
- 6-8 mint leaves, plus 1 sprig to garnish
Mash mint leaves in bottom of a tall glass with a wooden spoon. Fill glass with ice. Add gin, tonic and apple juice. Stir well and garnish with a mint leaf.